A50 An introduction to contraception
This sexual health course is for Nurses and Nurse Practitioners who do not hold a formal family planning qualification but whose role requires an understanding of contraception.
A family planning course to boost confidence when dealing with contraceptives and sexual health.
Who should attend?
Aims / objectives
- Have an overview of the different types and methods of contraception
- Understand the contraindications, potential side effects and monitoring required of current methods of contraception
- Have an awareness of what influences a women's choice of contraceptive methods
- Review methods of emergency contraception
- Discuss issues relating to sexually active young people
- Be aware of the NMC code of professional conduct in relation to scope of professional practice
- An overview of common contraceptive methods including Long Acting Methods.
- Intiating contraception and follow up of patients
- Emergency Contraception
- Helping clients to make an informed choice on their method
- Working with sexually active young people; the law and under 16s
- Attitudes and values: are you non judgmental?
- Workshop to include condom demonstration
- Questions and answers session.