A39 Primary care screening for cardiac disease
It is now compulsory for primary care providers to assess and screen patients for coronary heart disease. This interactive course will bring your screening skills up to date and ensure you offer the correct health promotion to your CHD patients.
Who should attend?
Allied health professionals
Aims / objectives
- Understand the theory of primary and secondary prevention of heart disease
- Explore specific government guidelines (NSF / NICE etc.)
- Gain confidence in screening and assessing patients
- Review appropriate methods involved in assessing patients
- Be able to deliver comprehensive health promotion to CHD patients
- Have the ability to make appropriate referrals
- Theory of primary and secondary prevention
- Lifestyle and risk factors for cardiovascular disease
- How to estimate cardiovascular risk
- What are the latest guidelines for prevention of cardiovascular disease?
- How to assess smoking, diet, physical activity and psychosocial health
- Smoking cessation strategies
- Delivering a healthy eating and effective weight management programme
- Designing and implementing physical activity plans with confidence
- Management of blood pressure, cholesterol and glucose to target
- Optimization of therapeutic and prophylactic pharmacological therapy
- How to implement a preventive cardiology programme in hospital, primary care and community settings