AR88 Mentorship in primary care
This course will help nurses mentor health care assistants and student nurses in a responsible and confident way. It will raise awareness of the many facets of mentoring including legal responsibility and accountability. It is relevant for those working within a community setting. *
Who should attend?
Advanced Nurse Practitioners
Aims / objectives
- Have a clear understanding of the registered practitioner's role in supporting, supervising and mentoring Health Care Assistants and Student Nurses.
- Understand the legal and professional issues around delegation and accountability when mentoring.
- Become familiar with the NMC Standards to support learning and assessment in practice.
- Review the HCA career framework and training opportunities available
- Explore common challenges in practice when mentoring HCAs and Student Nurses, working within the NMC Code.
- Have an understanding of the important things to consider in the practical placement setting to enhance learning.
- Discuss mentorship resources available
- Principles of mentorship
- Delegation and competence
- Legal responsibility and accountability
- Understanding supervision requirements
- Knowledge and skill requirements of the HCA
- Understanding the HCA career framework including NVQs and foundation degrees
- Regulation update on the HCA
- Preparing your workplace for a student/HCA
- Overview of mentorship resources
- Case studies
- Questions and Answers