A94 Respiratory core skills for Health Care Support Workers
This course improves knowledge of, and ability to carry out, the investigations that help establish a respiratory diagnosis. It also explains the advantages and disadvantages of the various inhaler devices, ensuring delegates understand how to manage common respiratory disorders such as asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
Who should attend?
Aims / objectives
- Describe the main symptoms of patients with asthma and COPD
- Understand the tests and investigations which may be performed to aid diagnosis
- Discuss the various inhaler devices available and demonstrate how to use them
- Discuss the impact of asthma and COPD on the patient and family
- Be aware of common management approaches to asthma and COPD.
- History taking
- Anatomy and physiology of the lungs
- Common respiratory conditions
- Common signs and symptoms associated with respiratory conditions
- Inhaler devices
- Peak flow and spirometry
- The impact of respiratory disease on the patient, their family and carer
- Managing asthma and COPD: NICE guidance.